Subject: Re: perl's defined "man" directories
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/06/2007 13:43:16
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> Perl modules that use MakeMaker.pm only install man1 and man3 pages. There is
> no "man8dir" for Perl modules.
>
> If you wish to customize the installation of ikiwiki, then either do the
> installation of the bits directly in a post-install target or patch the
> Makefile.PL file.  If you need to install a man1 page the page is listed in
> the .packlist, then you should install it into INSTALLVENDORMAN1DIR.
> Otherwise, you should list the man1 page in the PLIST and just install it
> directly into ${PREFIX}/${PKGMANDIR}/man1.
>
> I'm still not sure if I'm answering your question or not.  You will need to
> clarify exactly what it is you're trying to do and what ikiwiki is doing that
> deviates from a standard MakeMaker.pm-managed Perl module.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, you have answered my question.

ikiwiki's Makefile.PL creates Makefile that doesn't use Perl's own defined
man directory locations and has hardcoded
"$(DESTDIR)$(PREFIX)/share/man/..."

I was going to change it to use INSTALLVENDORMAN1DIR and MAN1EXT, but
since it also installs to .../share/man/man8/ikiwiki-mass-rebuild.8, I
decided not to use it since I don't have INSTALLVENDORMAN8DIR and MAN8EXT.

ikiwiki in pkgsrc uses a patch to not use this and just has its own
post-install: target so I will continue to use it.

  Jeremy C. Reed