Subject: Re: perl's defined "man" directories
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/06/2007 14:36:44
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Also the make variables I have now are:
>
> INSTALLMAN1DIR = $(PERLPREFIX)/lib/perl5/man/man1
> INSTALLSITEMAN1DIR = $(SITEPREFIX)/lib/perl5/site_perl/man/man1
> INSTALLVENDORMAN1DIR = $(VENDORPREFIX)/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/man/man1
>
> I want to use one of these to install to ${PREFIX}/${PKGMANDIR}/man1/ and
> ${PREFIX}/${PKGMANDIR}/man8. I see that "man8dir" is not an option.

Perl modules that use MakeMaker.pm only install man1 and man3 pages.
There is no "man8dir" for Perl modules.

If you wish to customize the installation of ikiwiki, then either do the
installation of the bits directly in a post-install target or patch the
Makefile.PL file.  If you need to install a man1 page the page is listed
in the .packlist, then you should install it into INSTALLVENDORMAN1DIR.
  Otherwise, you should list the man1 page in the PLIST and just install
it directly into ${PREFIX}/${PKGMANDIR}/man1.

I'm still not sure if I'm answering your question or not.  You will need
to clarify exactly what it is you're trying to do and what ikiwiki is
doing that deviates from a standard MakeMaker.pm-managed Perl module.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>