Subject: Re: pkgsrc to replace build.sh
To: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
From: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/30/2007 10:51:22

On Aug 30, 2007, at 6:37 AM, matthew sporleder wrote:

> Hey, guys.  I know pkgsrc has been getting a lot more capable in terms
> of cross-compilation, pkg options, and so forth; as such, the idea
> that pkgsrc could be used to replace build.sh for building netbsd has
> been running through my head a lot.  I just wanted to toss this out
> there and see if anyone else was thinking in the same direction.

I'm not strongly against this feature, but it seems to me  as
gentooism where portage build base system.

> Basically, my vision goes something like this:
> In pkgsrc there would be a /netbsd/ directory.  In there you could
> have cmds/, libs/, kernels/, and meta/.
> e.x.,
> cmds/ls
> cmds/file
> libs/libc
> libs/libcrypt
> kernels/GENERIC
> kernels/MYCUSTKERN
> meta/base
> meta/net
> meta/distribution
>
> Ideally, 'make GENERIC pkg' could go through and figure out which cmds
> and libs were necessary to support the kernel options (do we need
> wiconfig?  newfs_lfs?) as would also be true for any commands to
> require their supporting libs.
>
> Now the really fun part would be doing a 'make pkg kernel=GENERIC' in
> meta/distribution and ending up with syspkgs for all to enjoy.  :)
> Obviously from here we would want to modify sysinstall to pkg_add -K
> /var/db/syspkg everything in the resulting build.

this way have some pros and contras

Pros:
1) we can use pbulk build to parallel build our syspkgs
2) we can use almost dead syspkgs:)
3)

Cons:
1) we strongly integrate pkgsrc and netbsd I think that keep them
more separate is better for portability and also for netbsd users
(because they don't need to use pkgsrc if they want to upgrade their
system).
2)What about other supported operating systems mostly Dfbsd,Solaris?

> I made a crude (read short) attempt to creating a pkg from something
> in the existing netbsd src tree, but it didn't go very far without a
> proper Makefile and wouldn't do much good without the available
> options for cross-building, etc, that build.sh provides.

I think that best option is keep them both build.sh and pkgsrc
functional.

> It seems the largest hurdles would be: organizing the netbsd src tree
> to support this idea, getting the build.sh infrastructure into the
> more modular pkgsrc system (just port over src/share/mk to
> pkgsrc/mk?), and keeping the projects separate enough so they don't
> interfere with eachother (keeping the pkgsrc bootstrap smaller than
> the full netbsd tools).
>
> Just an idea I had,
> Matthew Sporleder

Regards
Adam Hamsik
jabber: haad@jabber.org
icq: 249727910

Proud NetBSD user.

We program to have fun.
Even when we program for money, we want to have fun as well.
~ Yukihiro Matsumoto