Subject: Re: NetBSD compat* packages
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/16/2007 22:46:22
On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 11:10:19PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 05:57:13PM -0400, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> >
> > If you are running NetBSD-3.0 and you would like to run a NetBSD-1.4
> > binary, then you would install compat14, compat15, compat16 and
> > compat20, which would provide the complete set of shared libraries needed.
>
> Why is this needed?
> The current libraries (usually) contain compat functions for old programs.

Given one of:

    (1) install compat14
    (2) install compat14, compat15, compat16, compat20

Is your question why you would need to do #2?

I thought there was possibly some scenario where one would need every
shared library for every intervening version of NetBSD "just in case",
but if that's not needed, then it's cleaner to do #1.

Could you clarify this for me?

	Thanks,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>