Subject: Re: pkg_install versions and when it's needed?
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/2007 11:03:47
Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

>   I would rahter add a list of known-broken versions and require an
> update if one of those is detected.  But I also think ``if you have
> problems with pkg_install, try updating to the newest version'' is an
> acceptable policy.  After all, it's what we suggest for other packages
> also, no?

Yes, but with others the normal methods of running pkg_chk -u or
pkg_rolling-replace -u will update the broken package without requiring
debugging.  I suppose that might work with the pkg_install, but it seems
I'm addressing the problem when basically nothing works.

>   I don't think it's reasonable to always require an update to the
> newest version; that way you would be *forced* to use the bleeding
> edge which has seen relatively little testing.

Good point.

Perhaps we should ease off on the notion that pkg_install can't be
deleted; I was surprised that there isn't even an override option.
Removing pkg_tools (and thus falling back to base pkg_install) seems
like a good plan in case of trouble.  Of course it can be deleted; I
just advise people to rm -rf the metadata and /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_*, but
that's messier.