Subject: Re: pkg_install versions and when it's needed?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/2007 16:47:12
On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 09:35:17AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> 2) Sometimes pkgsrc says a newer version is needed.  This can happen on
> older systems (nebsd-3 from 3.0, I think).  Then pkg_install is
> installed from pkgsrc.  If this is a bad version (meaning one that
> doesn't work right), and then one cvs updates, pkgsrc won't
> automatically install the newer pkg_install because the old one has a
> recent enough version compared to what's required.
>
> So, I am wondering if the logic for pkg_install should be
>
> 1) if pkg_install is only in base system, and is older than X, force
> install from pkgsrc (we already have this in effect)
>
> 2) if pkg_install is from pkgsrc, and it's old, force an update.

  I would rahter add a list of known-broken versions and require an
update if one of those is detected.  But I also think ``if you have
problems with pkg_install, try updating to the newest version'' is an
acceptable policy.  After all, it's what we suggest for other packages
also, no?

  I don't think it's reasonable to always require an update to the
newest version; that way you would be *forced* to use the bleeding
edge which has seen relatively little testing.

					yours,
					dillo