Subject: Re: pkg_install versions and when it's needed?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/2007 10:45:41
In article <rmilkckutty.fsf@fnord.ir.bbn.com> Greg wrote:
: I have a -current system, built on July 17.

: I updated pkgsrc, and it was happy to install packages without demanding
: a new pkg_install, even though the version in current is now out of
: date.

  What exactly do you mean by ``out of date''?  That there is a newer
version in pkgsrc?  Or that the pkgsrc infrastructure requires a
newer version?

: With all the churn in pkg_install lately, I'm concerned that the 'new
: enough' logic may leave people in a bad state (I'm helping someone over
: the phone who's losing because of this, but I'm not sure exactly how).

  Please find out what is going wrong and where the fault lies.  It's
hard to fix such a vague problem.

: So, should pkgsrc be marked so that 20070809 pkg_install is required?

  If pkgsrc does does not work with version older than 20070809, then
yes.  Otherwise, no.

: Or should people revert to what's in netbsd-3, netbsd-4, or current?

  If the version in pkgtools/pkg_install is broken, it should be fixed
or reverted there.

					yours,
					dillo