Subject: Re: (Incomplete) List of pkgsrc Improvements
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/01/2007 15:45:24
hi,

> >   Besides a version number, each package can set the variable
> > INCOMPATIBLE_BEFORE which states that the current version of the
> > package is incompatible with versions before this.  If this variable
> > is not set, it is presumed to be backwards compatible to all prior
> > versions.
>
> Perhaps we call this EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_ABI to emphasize that it should
> contain the earliest version with which the current version is ABI
> compatible.

  I don't want to have ABI as part of the variable's name, since it is
not only about shared library ABI, but also any other backwards
incompatible change.  EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_VERSION?

>  As an example, if package foo which contains only libfoo
> had previous versions 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.3.2 had shlib version 5.0, 5.1, 5.1,
> versions 1.4, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2 had shlib versions 6.0, 6.0, 6.1, then in
> 1.4 we would set EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_ABI to 1.4, and in 1.4.2 we would
> also set EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_ABI to 1.4 to indicate that

  Exactly.

> 1) if a package is built against e..g 1.3.2 then neither 1.4 nor 1.4.2
> may  be used to satisfy dependecies
>
> 2) if a package is installed with 1.3.2 as a dependency, then updating
> libfoo to 1.4.2 (via make replace, or pkg_add -u) is unsafe and will
> break things.

  Exactly.

> >   Now when checking wether a dependency is usable, we check that the
> > dependency pattern is fulfilled (as we do now), but in addition we
> > check that the depending package does not accept a version earlier
> > than the dependency's INCOMPATIBLE_BEFORE, as that would mean it was
> > built against an incompatible earlier version.
>
> I don't see where "depending package does not accept" comes from.  The
> package is recorded as built against 1.3.2, and when considering 1.4.2
> we see EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_ABI is 1.4, and since that's > 1.3.2, it's
> not usable.

  Yes.  It accepts versions less than EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_ABI (1.3.2,
which is less than 1.4), thus it's not usable.

>  I see the depending package as simply recording what it was
> built against, and the rule is that the version of libfoo has to be >=
> the recorded version, and the EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_ABI for libfoo has to
> be <= the recorded version.

  Yes.  Although I don't know if I really want to go from recording
dependency patterns to just recording the version it was built
against, as that looses flexibility.  We would have to check wether
that flexibility is used/needed somewhere in pkgsrc.

> >   So, to give an example: we have four packages:
> >
> >   package aaa: DEPENDS += bbb>=1.7
> >                DEPENDS += ccc>=1.4.2
> >                DEPENDS += ddd>=2.2
> >   package bbb: PKGNAME = bbb-1.8
> >   package ccc: PKGNAME = ccc-1.5.6nb2
> >                INCOMPATIBLE_BEFORE = 1.5.6nb1
> >   package ddd: PKGNAME = ddd-2.3
> >                INCOMPATIBLE_BEFORE = 2.0
> >
> >   When installing aaa, each of its dependencies is checked:
> >
> >   bbb: bbb-1.8 satisfies bbb>=1.7; since bbb doesn't have
> >        INCOMPATIBLE_BEFORE set, we are done: bbb is usable.
>
> So INCOMPATIBLE_BEFORE or EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_ABI defaults to 0, or some
> version that is less than any valid version.

  Yes.

> >   ccc: ccc-1.5.6nb2 satisfies ccc>=1.4.2; but ccc is incompatible with
> >        versions before 1.5.6nb1, and aaa can use 1.4.2, so ccc is *not*
> >        usable.
> >
> >   ddd: ddd-2.3 satisfies ddd>=2.2; ddd is compatible back to 2.0, and
> >        aaa can use 2.2, so ddd is usable.
>
> So yes, I think that we agree on what's to be checked.

  So do I.

> > [storing the abi version for each dependency]
> >> It's only a few bytes, and I suspect this is going to be hard enough to
> >> get truly right that choosing simpler and easier over space-efficient
> >> will turn out better.
> >
> >   Agreed.  However, I don't think your approach is simpler.
>
> This way gives up on minor versions, but I think that's ok.  It's
> basically never safe to use a lower version, and we lose almost nothing
> by changing "basically never" to "never".

  I think so too.  Especially, it is hard to know when it would be
save to use a lower version, and it's more effort than we can a
package maintainer to invest.

> I think what I was suggesting is slightly conceptually simpler, but in
> fact the difficulty will be correctly setting the INCOMPATIBLE_BEFORE /
> EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_ABI variables, and your approach makes that a bit
> easier to get right and is therefore preferable.

  Heh, that's what I thougt too.

> >> With this, if ABI values are equal during make replace or pkg_add -u,
> >> then unsafe_depends doesn't need to be set.
> >
> >   [Assuming ABI value is basically the same as INCOMPATIBLE_BEFORE.]
> >
> >   If the ABI values are not the same, the package is known to break
> > compatibility (at least for some dependencies).  In that case, pkg_add
> > -u should refuse to replace the package.  That is the whole point of
> > the exercise.
>
> I see it differently.  It's still useful to be able to do pkg_add -u,
> and then to update the next package, so that one doesn't end up without
> pacakges installed, even if some are broken.
[...]
> If you want pkg_add -u to need some sort of forcing flag in the case of
> a known ABI change, that's fine with me.  The binary version of
> pkg_rolling-replace will just always use the flag.

  I' okay with it if it requres a forcing flag, but I insist on that
flag: the user should have to explicitly state that he is okay with
things getting broken.

> So if you think I mean the same  thing as you, I think we're converged.

  Yes, I do.  I'll update the description.

					yours,
					dillo