Subject: Re: maintaining binary pkgs on the ftp server
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/04/2007 20:32:06
On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 02:27:27PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> As a general scheme, I suggest
>
>     /pub/pkgsrc/${OPSYS}/${OSVERSION}/${ARCH}/${TAG}/All

ARCH first, OSVERSION later. Keep in mind that a different version often
works (for some value of often), but not a different architecture, e.g.
most specific filter last.

> ${TAG} would be either 200yQq or current-200ymmdd. That is, each "All"
> directory has some tag associated with it. (Currently, we have some
> directories where this isn't the case.)

I disagree somewhat on this. For DragonFly, I distinguish between
stable and current. stable is a symlink to the branch directory, with
the expectation that normally a single branch is kept. I don't see a use
or need to version the current directory, it just makes it more likely
to waste space and bandwidth.

> This would make the first answer very easy: Look in
> /pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/4.0/i386/ and see for which branches the
> packages are available. The same goes for the second question. If there
> are no packages on ftp.NetBSD.org, there should be a README pointing to
> alternative sources.

Either a README or some other central place where links can be dropped.
For the DragonFly binaries we keep the list with the other download
resources, but I would have a hard-time to decide where to download e.g.
Solaris packages.

Joerg