Subject: Re: Changes to use new PEAR features (channels and package.xml v2)
To: Christopher W. Richardson <cwr@nexthop.com>
From: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/25/2007 21:45:33
Christopher W. Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been poking around for a while now, trying to create a
> package for PEAR Role_Web from pearified.com, and I've come to
> two (possibly erroneous) conclusions:
>
> 	1) Our PEAR stuff is not set up to use channels other
>            than the default ones which come with pear
>            (pear.php.net, pecl.php.net, and URI)

We don't make any modifications to the PEAR defaults as such.
Effectively what happens is that the PEAR module is downloaded,
extracted and then "pear install package.xml" is run on the extracted
sources.  Any dependencies that are needed by a particular PEAR package
are dealt with using the pkgsrc framework.

AFAIK the only PEAR packages that have been packaged this far (that are
in pkgsrc) come from pear.php.net so you could be breaking some new
ground here.

>         2) pear_plist.php does not really handle package.xml v2
>            packages

This I'm not sure about.  We had a little issue a while ago where some
PEAR packages were using an old format and some a newer one.  But we
modified the pkgsrc infrastructure so it would work with both.  See:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/lang/php/pear_plist.php.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.4&f=h

> I'm willing to work on both of these (assuming I'm right in my
> diagnosis), but I'm not exactly a PHP/PEAR expert, and I also
> have some generic questions about how to handle the channels.

Before we go any further with this could I get some information on what
versions of PEAR and PHP you're running.  Also could you send me across
what you have done so far for this Role_Web package ?  It would just
give me and idea where you're up to and what problems your coming across.

thanks,

adrian.