Subject: Re: "torrentutils" vs. "bash"
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/25/2007 19:51:09
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 01:44:32PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Well unless even more has been lost in the gutting of pkg_install than
> I'm aware of, are not _BINARY_ package inter-dependencies still
> expressed using ${DEPENDS}!?!?!?!?!?

The tools framework is used to decide (a) whether the native version is
good enough and (b) if it is not, to add the right (BUILD_)DEPENDS.
The problem is deciding whether or not something is good enough. We are
able to normally avoid that question as it was a global choice in all
relevant cases so far.

We do not do fine grained detection as there was simply no point so far.
This is somewhat different from buildlink3's builtin.mk. Those are doing
the necessary checks in a number of cases.

Joerg