Subject: various problems with pkgsrc under solaris
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/19/2007 21:25:32
Hello,

I've been using pkgsrc under SunOS-5.9/sparc for some time now and it
has largely been working well.  While trying to debug a problem
yesterday I decided to update my bootstrap kit which hadn't been done in
a couple of years.  Also I updated my pkgsrc tree which hadn't been done
in a couple of months.

I've now been seeing things like this seemingly at random during some
packages configure stage:

./configure[22945]: /tmp/sh13131.13: cannot create

I have about 14 Gb free in /tmp, permissions look reasonable plus I'm
building as root anyway.

I've also seen a case in devel/silc-toolkit where the compiler (which
has not been updated for quite some time) gives an abort and a certain
configure test fails.  Yet when I look at the configure test, it should
absolutely pass and in fact when I run the test by hand I have no problems.

configure:29196: checking whether gcc accepts -DMP_API_COMPATIBLE flag
configure:29214: gcc -o conftest  -g -O2 -Wall -finline-functions
-D_REENTRANT -I/usr/pkg/include -L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/
pkg/lib conftest.c  -lnsl -lresolv -lsocket -ldl -lpthread >&5
/usr/pkgsrc/devel/silc-toolkit/work.mudshark/.wrapper/bin/gcc[71]: 3555
Abort(coredump)
configure:29220: $? = 134

and if you look at conftest, there are a bunch of totally
non-interesting (from the point of view of a compiler crash) #defines
and a pretty basic main().  Here's the tail end:

#define SILC_HAVE_PTHREAD 1
#define SILC_THREADS 1
#define SILC_ETCDIR "/usr/pkg/etc"
/* end confdefs.h.  */
  int
  main ()
  {

    ;
    return 0;
  }

I'm at a bit of a loss as to whats going on here.  I don't know if it is
related to the bootstrap update, the update of pkgsrc/mk/* or totally
unrelated to these.

Any ideas?  I'm wanting to take advantage of the freeze and make sure my
400 or so favorite pkgs are compiling correctly on this platform.

Thanks
-Dan