Subject: Re: Using the native OpenSSL on Solaris 9/10
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/17/2007 05:19:55
On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 11:35:37AM +0200, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > Try:
> >
> > USE_BUILTIN.openssl=	yes
> > PREFER_NATIVE+=	openssl
> > PREFER.openssl=	native
> >
> > (I think you could use any of the above in your mk.conf.)
>
> If one of those three options is sufficient why do the other two even
> exist?

PREFER_NATIVE+=openssl and PREFER.openssl=native mean the same thing,
expect that the latter is undocumented.

USE_BUILTIN.openssl=yes is "stronger" than setting PREFER_NATIVE because
"preferring" still means that the native package must satisfy whatever
checks are in openssl/builtin.mk, whereas "using" means that we use the
native package regardless of whether it satisfies those checks.

In general, you should set PREFER_NATIVE.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>