Subject: Re: mk/platform/MyOS.pkg.dist deprecated
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/15/2007 13:08:38
On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 12:15:35PM +1200, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> I was looking through
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/porting.html#porting.opsys and I saw the
> comment that USE_MTREE is a feature that is going to be removed.

Yes.

> Does this mean that the .dist file is going away there will no longer be
> mtree support in pkgsrc?

Yes.

> I use mtree and the .dist file every day. Many packages have their own
> ideas of what the various directory ownerships and permissions need to be,
> and once I convert the packages into Solaris packages with gensolpkg, this
> all turns to custard.

Please complain for any directory not created with default permissions.
That would be a bug in the package.

> The Solaris package system doesn't like it when
> packages disagree over what shared directories look like, and so I run
> mtree every time I create a Solaris package.

The reason mtree is removed is because it duplicates information across
any package. We don't use it for anything but creating directories. It
plays havoc with more intelligent handling of directory removal. It
makes is a lot harder to get minimal packages for DESTDIR. Etc.

Joerg