Subject: Re: Default for PKG_SYSCONFBASE
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/09/2007 22:23:04
On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 09:21:09PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On 09/06/2007, at 20:55, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>
> >I should add that changing the default means a lot more work for bulk
> >builds. Keeping the set of writeable locations as small as possible
> >is a
> >crucial requirement. /etc/pkg is yet another location. This also plays
> >somewhat havoc with the original idea of self-contained pkgsrc.
>
> What is "a lot more work"?

It means more work to figure out what to remove, for example.
To make it plain, a package should modify files in ${PREFIX},
${WRKOBJDIR} and ${VARBASE} only. The latter if possible only at
runtime... I consider writing to pretty much any other place in the
filesystem a bug if it can't be scheduled ahead (user creation for
example).

> Do we really want a self-contained pkgsrc or one that integrates well
> with the system (if built as root)?  If the former, please let's make
> *everything* self contained and deal with the problems that arise
> (that goes for VARBASE).  If the later... things can be much better
> for the desktop user^W^Wsystem administrator.

I wouldn't have a problem with moving VARBASE to a more sensible setting
either. ${PREFIX}/var is one of those.

Joerg