Subject: Re: Default for PKG_SYSCONFBASE
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/09/2007 20:55:06
On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 05:20:28PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> - /etc is the place that is supposed to have the configuration files.
> - Configuration files are usually per-host, but this is not easy to
>   achieve if /usr/pkg is network-shared.

Mount a local file-system over it.

I should add that changing the default means a lot more work for bulk
builds. Keeping the set of writeable locations as small as possible is a
crucial requirement. /etc/pkg is yet another location. This also plays
somewhat havoc with the original idea of self-contained pkgsrc.

> - VARBASE is also a configurable setting and _does not_ default to
>   PREFIX/var.  It "correctly" points to /var.

In contrast to etc I expect VARBASE to be volatile. My own configuration
here has a read-only / and read-write /var.

I should also add that if you want to mount /usr read-only, you can
create /usr/pkg/etc as symlink without breaking anything.

Joerg