Subject: Re: Default for PKG_SYSCONFBASE
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/04/2007 15:37:20
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Keep in mind too that pkgsrc is intended to be portable.  Any platform
> it works on may have any (or many) package(s) included in their base and
> so packages should, by default, always simply use PKG_SYSCONFBASE=/etc.

Hi Greg!

I would say that would be an argument to not use /etc/. Because novice
pkgsrc users may have incompatible software using same configuration
files. They might be incompatible simply because old versus new versions
or maybe other vendors (hopefully not pkgsrc) may have incompatible
extensions or changed configuration options.

On the other hand, NetBSD users have been confused by editing files that
already exist in /etc/ but nothing happened because the didn't change the
configurations under the PKG_SYSCONFBASE. (I was thinking fontconfig was
an example of that, but then I remember using PKG_SYSCONFBASE as /etc/
would not help since we have /etc/fonts versus .../fontconfig/ -- and
anyways end-user should have used local.conf instead.)

Another example is openssh with /etc/ssh/ where new versions of openssh
have new configuration options that are incompatible with older openssh.

  Jeremy C. Reed