Subject: Re: Default for PKG_SYSCONFBASE
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/04/2007 21:30:53
On 04/06/2007, at 21:12, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> At Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:20:28 +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Subject: Default for PKG_SYSCONFBASE
>>
>> I've found it weird for a very long time already that the default
>> PKG_SYSCONFBASE points to PREFIX/etc.
>
> Indeed.  That default is completely bogus.
>
>> So I propose we change the default PKG_SYSCONFBASE from PREFIX/etc to
>> point to /etc/pkg.  What would you think of such change?
>
> I would think it is slightly wrong.
>
> The best, and correct, setting for PKG_SYSCONFBASE is simply "/
> etc", and
> nothing more.  (i.e. in the same way VARBASE=/var)

So is PREFIX too, which currently isolates stuff in /usr.

I like to keep pkgsrc stuff isolated from the base system because
then it is trivial to sweep everything (which is not an uncommon
need...) and start again from scratch.  However, and as you say,
integrating the configuration files has some advantages...

> There is no need, and indeed it is counter-productive in so many ways,
> to artificially isolate the configuration files for packages in any
> way.
>
> This is especially important for any package which might update or
> replace any built-in component on the base OS which already keeps its
> local configuration files in /etc.
>
> Keep in mind too that pkgsrc is intended to be portable.  Any platform
> it works on may have any (or many) package(s) included in their
> base and
> so packages should, by default, always simply use PKG_SYSCONFBASE=/
> etc.

I am afraid that could cause some trouble, but you have got a point.
It is worth to investigate this possibility also.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>