Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/bootstrap
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino@ac.upc.edu>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/30/2007 11:40:21
hi,

> >: XXX Is it time we stopped checking $prefix, too? IMO, yes.
> >
> >  Could you do a bulk build and then extract the list of all files
> >from all binary packages and see if there are any conflicts resulting
> >from case insensitivity?  Then we would at least know which packages
> >break.
>
> We could check almost all packages by looking at the PLISTs.  This
> could be automated somewhere and checked, e.g., prior building the
> package (aborting the build if the check failed).  However, I agree
> that disabling the check for $prefix could be good too!

  I'm also worried about two packages conflicting on case insensitive
file systems that do not conflict otherwise.

  Also, some packages have dynamically created PLISTs (like perl
packages), and some PLISTs contain variables that are expanded during
build.  So checking the files from binary packages is both simpler and
more complete.

> The work directories are a different issue though.  We cannot easily
> check for conflicts inside the distfiles (well, we could by
> inspecting 'tar tzf's output, for example) nor the files they produce
> during build...

  If we do a bulk build with case insensitve work dirs, we know that
the produced binary packages at least build (and produce the files
expected).

					yours,
					dillo