Subject: Re: packaging Thunderbird 2.0.0.0
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2007 08:18:00
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 05:44:09PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   This approach will result in a re-import after every major release, which
>   I'd prefer to avoid...
>
> why?  It seems no harder than importing the new version, and that it will
> cause less upgrade pain.

Thunderbird 2.0 release = reimport the old version as mail/thunderbird15
and update mail/thunderbird to 2.0

Thunderbird 3.0 release = reimport the old version as mail/thunderbird2
and update mail/thunderbird to 3.0

And so on...

Although two significant advantages are:

- it keeps most of the CVS history in one place
- there's a canonical place for Makefile.common and buildlink3 bits

So I think I'll be using this approach eventually.

I'll have to reimport www/firefox as www/firefox15 and copy www/firefox2 to
www/firefox as well then.

	Geert