Subject: Re: Mozilla *-gtk1 packages (Re: HEADS UP: Removal candidates for
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/11/2007 14:33:21
On Fri, 11 May 2007, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 12:33:25AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Please take a look at the following list of packages and let me know
>> if you are still using one or more of the following packages.
>>
>> The list should contain all packages that depend on the by now very
>> old gnome-libs package, one of the core packages of Gnome 1.
>>
>> Gnome 2 is rather mature by now and Gnome 1 is unsupported, so I'd
>> like to get rid of most (if possible all) Gnome 1 packages sometime
>> soon now.
>

> On a related note, does anyone still care about the various Mozilla *-gtk1
> packages?  I used to use them on slower machines, but these days I'm mostly
> using the gtk2 versions.

 	As I understand is there are two main reasons to use the gtk1
 	versions

 	a) faster than gtk2
 	   I *believe* disabling pango in gtk2 may give most of the same
 	   performance gain, so it may be better to provide that as an
 	   option instead of gtk1

 	b) fonts can look really ugly in gtk2
 	   Thats probably down to not having the right X11/freetype
 	   setup. Ensuring that the modular xorg and the XFree shipped
 	   with NetBSD does the right thing 'out of the box' should
 	   cover that.