Subject: Re: Firefox 1.5.0.x EOL?
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/28/2007 19:15:03
  Mozilla will cease maintenance of Firefox 1.5.0.x on April 24, 2007.
  Should we remove the www/firefox packages from pkgsrc before this branch,
  or before the next?  Probably the most important factor in this decision:
  what's the status of www/firefox2 on !i386 platforms?

I think it's premature to remove it.  For me, the test is

  If someone is running firefox 1.5, is it fair to tell them --
  without asking them for their reasons -- that not immediately
  updating is a crazy action for which they could not possibly have
  adequate justification.

That's perhaps a bit strong, but I'm not anywhere near ready to say
that about 1.5.   I'm ready to say "you should update", but that's
less strong.

Now, I realize that leaving it in means that when the next advisory
comes out and mozilla doesn't update it, that it will get marked
vulnerable and probably not get fixed.  That's ok; people can then
still choose.

That there are people who manage lots of machines, and like to do
things in the same way, so it's reasonable for them to want to build
1.5.0.x even after EOL.  I'd say we let it sit for a while and remove
it if it becomes a problem to deal with its presence in pkgsrc.

(The above all assumes that firefox2 works fine everywhere.)