Subject: Re: converters/libiconv breaks on Linux (PR-35937)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/2007 14:01:02
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 02:12:11AM +0100, Ulrich Habel wrote:
> Jeremy wanted me to post about this in here - is the c99 switch needed
> on any platform or is 'c' just sufficient. This obsoletes the patch and
> converts the USE_LANGUAGES+= to 'c c++'

GCC 2.95 has a number of C99 extensions or to be more precise some of
what later got known as C99 extensions. For that very reason this is
incorrect. To be frank, I don't like worrying about GCC 2.95 anymore. It
doesn't mean someone might not fix the c99 option passing but:
(a) This patch is wrong. The problem is about the compiler and not the
OS.
(b) I don't even think that patching gcc.mk is correct either, since GCC
2.95 does not support all C99 features. Maybe we should just require
3.0+ in that case.

Joerg