Subject: graphics/ImageMagick distfile botch
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2007 21:39:40
It is too late to do anything about this now, but in rev 1.84
of graphics/ImageMagick/distinfo the checksums were updated
wthout any change to the distfile file name.

That's not good - I know the origin of the problem was some
ImageMagick maintainer (cretin...) but in NetBSD (and pkgsrc)
we (I thought) try to work around problems like this.

Whenever a distfile changes without a change of file name (usually
version number) the distfile needs to go in a DIST_SUBDIR in NetBSD
to keep the two versions separate (and then a new DIST_SUBDIR if
the distfile changes again without being renamed).

Once the next version appears, the DIST_SUBDIR should be removed
of course (unless needed for some other reason).

Also, I believe the CVS log should contain something better than
"Distribution file change" - it should give a clue what changed
so we know that someone actually checked that the distfile hasn't been
subverted somewhere along the line.

kre

ps: apologies if this has been mentioned before, I'm about 8
months behind on my list reading now (60K messages...)