Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/gethost
To: Todd Vierling <tv@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/03/2007 12:08:08
On 1/3/07, Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2007.salmi.ch> wrote:
> > Require "inet6" option to be present.

> hmm, if group `inet6' is required and consists only of option `inet6',
> why is `inet6' an option at all? (same for net/dnstracer, net/fping6,
> net/netcat6, net/scamper, net/sipcalc, net/totd, www/www6to4, et al.)

The point is that not all OPSYS supports IPv6, and the user is also
allowed to disable use of IPv6 by setting PKG_OPTIONS.<foo> or
PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS with a "-inet6".  Normally, "inet6" is
automatically set on any OPSYS that supports IPv6 unless explicitly
disabled by the user.

(Note, USE_INET6 is old and deprecated, and one of these days I may go
do a pass through pkgsrc to eliminate its use altogether....)

So, the required options group for "inet6" guarantees that the "inet6"
option is set before attempting to build a package that will need IPv6
support at build time.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>