Subject: Re: Experience with modular-x11
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/13/2006 12:57:24
On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 11:43:13AM +0100, Vincent wrote:
> I don't know if this will be useful to anyone, but since nobody appears
> to use the modular-x11-server yet, here is what I had to suffer to get
> something sane and running.

I said with a reason that noone should use without knowing what he is
doing. The basic requirement is removing x11/*/builtin.mk for the
various proto fils as they are currently not working correctly.

> Some packages won't build at all, especially those that depends on imake
> or old X-related building tools. Up to now, this has been critical only
> for nas (which is needed by mplayer or xine) and xv. Xv can be replaced
> easily by a more modern software like ImageMagick or the like. For nas,
> one must either build it on another machine still equipped with the old
> xorg, or install the binary (which failed for me).

imake is not done yet. I don't use the NAS dependency of mplayer, it
doesn't make much sense. Most other dependencies needs fixing. I have a
bulk build running to start fixing dependencies now.

Joerg