Subject: Use of the word "dewey" in pkgsrc
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2006 20:39:25
Hi,

with the version numbers in pkgsrc, the term "dewey" has been used for a
long time to name the scheme of version numbers.

I think that the name comes from the Dewey Decimal Classification
Scheme. If that is right, I don't like that name. It is both misleading
and plainly wrong.

Version numbers are not a classification scheme, only an ordering
scheme. It isn't that all packages having version 5.* are in the
"Natural Science" category. They represent something completely different.

Can we replace that term with something that describes more precisely
what this is really about?

Roland