Subject: Re: per package CONFIGURE_ARGS in mk.conf
To: <>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/05/2006 19:00:13
diro@nixsys.bz wrote:
>>> On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 07:20:17PM +0000, diro@nixsys.bz wrote:
>>> Even with PKG_OPTIONS, though, take sqwebmail again as an example.
>>> Things like:
>>> --with-maxargsize =n
>>> --with-maxformargsize=n
>>

>> BUILD_DEFS allows tracking of such settings. We use it in other places
>> as well. Consider hard-coded UIDs...
>> Joerg
>

> I remember using BUILD_DEFS for things and then PKG_OPTIONS came along
> near the time i started spending less time playing with NetBSD. I saw a
> few once BUILD_DEFS options become PKG_OPTIONS, so i was just wondering
> if it's worth my time to suggest a whole lot of new BUILD_DEFS for
> certain packages that would make them more configurable under pkgsrc or
> there was a preferred new method of doing this, using PKG_OPTIONS or
> otherwise.

PKG_OPTIONS can only be used for "flags", that is, things that are
either "on" or "off". All other things go into BUILD_DEFS. There are
already many packages that add their own variables to BUILD_DEFS, and
even pkglint warns package authors when they use user-settable variables
without adding them to BUILD_DEFS.

Roland