Subject: Re: the netbsd way
To: Marc Espie <espie@nerim.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/31/2006 12:13:15
--9q+4pEgVd7t11q9L

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:32:08AM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
[...]
> >From where I stand, it looks like the old feud is still alive and well.

And your post will certainly help with that.  Thanks.

> Guys, it's 2006, there is absolutely no reason to ignore OpenBSD. Are we
> still at war ? For that matter, I came to OpenBSD recently enough to not
> even know most of the old farts who started that was (except for Theo, for
> obvious reasons, who IS an obnoxious old fart indeed ;-) ).
>=20
> To tackle some of the subjects of the convention, PLEASE have a look at
> OpenBSD. We took some different roads, but we have some experience in
> some of these subjects.
>=20
> We rewrote our pkgtools infrastructure. It does handle special stuff
> in packing-lists. It does handle dependencies gracefully, especially
> during package delete. It does handle the creation of new users. It
> does handle the in-place update of one package (and along the way, we
> discovered that it is not quite enough, because files change packages,
> so you have to handle atomic update of small package sets, say
> kdelibs+kdebase, whenever a file changes homes). We also discovered some
> really weird things, like dependency inversions (the cairo stuff in gnome
> means that we got from a-0.0 -> b-0.0   to b-1.0 -> a-1.0, really weird).
> There's no reason you need to run into the same issues we did.

Cool for OpenBSD, and good for you!

Now, I know for certain that the people organising the pkgsrc
conferences wouldn't mind having OpenBSD people presenting the
evolutions of their package collection framework.  I for one wouldn't
mind seeing such a presentation, as I certainly have no intent of ever
installing OpenBSD in a near or distant future, even merely to try it.
Don't get your pride too high, I feel the same towards FreeBSD or
DragonFlyBSD.  That doesn't mean I'd ignore what Joerg has to say about
various parts of the system.

So, PLEASE, don't ignore pkgsrc and come to the conventions.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--9q+4pEgVd7t11q9L

--9q+4pEgVd7t11q9L--