Subject: Suggestion for new feature: PLIST macros
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/24/2006 20:14:21
Hi,

I have an idea for a new feature, but I'd like to hear your opinions
about it before I commit any code related to it.

One basic property of large packages is that their PLIST files are
usually large, too. Many of these packages install lots of files in one
directory which no other package will ever touch. Therefore I had the
idea of just writing

     @everything_from share/doc/${PKGNAME}

instead of listing the 1000 files individually. That way we can reduce
the size of a typical pkgsrc installation by several megabytes. It also
makes packages more flexible when the list of files changes, which
happended for instance with the recent update of doxygen.

Roland