Subject: pkg_chk and make update with -a
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/19/2006 16:19:02
--=-=-=

I ran pkgchk like this:

pkg_chk -k -a -s -C pkgchk-wolfe.conf >&NEW.001 &

and it did:

16:06 cd /usr/pkgsrc/converters/p5-MIME-Base64 && /usr/bin/make update CLEA=
NDEPENDS=3Dyes

By invoking pkg_chk with -a, I mean to add missing, but not do
anything else.  I'm scared of make update in general, but it should
only be invoking it on missing packages, so it should be the same as
make package.  But I think pkg_chk should not invoke make update if it
has not been given -u on the command line.  Of course, then it needs
to somehow know how to make binary packages.  I'd lean to just say
'make package', since I always want them, but I realize there must be
someone out there who doesn't.

Also, pkg_chk(8) says:

     -u        Automatically update any missing packages.  If a binary pack=
age
               exists in PACKAGES it will be used in preference to building
               from source, unless the -b or -s options are given.

               Note: If the update fails (particularly when building from
               source), the system will be left with missing packages.  Once
               the error has been fixed, a second run will resume the updat=
e.

But this says 'missing',and I think it should be 'mismatched'
instead.  OK to fix the man page?

=2D-=20

    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=