Subject: Re: WARNING: [subst.mk] Ignoring non-text file ... assembler?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2006 21:58:39
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Then again why do we even have this _SUBST_IS_TEXT_FILE? If the pkgsrc
> developer chooses to use the SUBST conversion, why not let them choose
> the files they want and allow it?

The pkgsrc developers are not the only ones that use the SUBST thing.
The infrastructure does, too.

When unwrapping the files (see mk/wrapper/bsd.wrapper.mk), *-config is
unwrapped. This often includes binary foo-config files that had been
used before pkg-config has spread widely. Therefore another check was
introduced to stop SUBST from running a text replacement tool over these
binary files.

The best way to fix this would be to improve the interface to the
UNWRAP_PATTERNS variable so that specific files can be excluded from
unwrapping. (UNWRAP_SKIP?) Then, the "not a text file" could be made
into an error message instead of a warning, as this is the only case
where this _SUBST_IS_TEXT_FILE is needed, to my knowledge.

Roland