Subject: Re: multimedia/dvdrip depends on archivers/rar-bin
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2006 18:26:35
On Wed 04 Oct 2006 at 09:27:15 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I'd say that in general our packaging of free software with non-free
> or non-portable dependencies should have a PKG_OPTION to use the
> dependency, defaulting to not use it.

Or at least (in case of a non-portable dependency) it could check the
architecture. However, that also happens in the
archivers/rar-bin/Makefile, and doing the check twice is not a good
idea. What happens at present is that the line

DEPENDS+=      rar-bin-[0-9]*:../../archivers/rar-bin

generates the dependency, but the Makefile of rar-bin refuses to build,
and then the build system gets confused by a missing dependency and
stops.

Maybe something like a buildlink.mk file could be made, that can be
included (preventing duplication) and generates a dependency only if
certain conditions are met (in this case, the correct architecture).
There is no buildlink.mk file here because there is no linking of
course, but otherwise the purpose of avoiding duplication of assignments
is much the same.

> Does dvdrip work w/o rar?

I haven't tried that yet (I was doing a builk build), but I expect it to
be needed at most in some optional action selected from the GUI. It
certainly builds without rar.

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.