Subject: Re: state of pkgsrc on AIX, OpenBSD, BSD/OS
To: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/24/2006 16:06:24
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
> infrastructure pieces are missing.. I'm going to try and devote
> a little time this weekend to bringing my working tree up to the
> current configuration, and put to get patch sets to add.

That'd be a great step forward!
(I hear users complain about the current state of affair, but with noone
inside pkgsrc being able to devote time, we depend on external parties to
participate in the development process - and we appreciate it, a lot!)

> - > 	(hmm, having commit access would also allow me to
> - > add/update a number of the jabber projects I've got stashed away
> - > in pkgsrc-wip -- jabber/xmpp being another current interest of mine.)
> -
> - What packets in pkgsrc need updating, and from where?
>
> 	Well, there is only one modification to an existing
> package.  I added a common configuration file to be used by all
> the jabber servers and transports, so the same information isn't
> replicated a half dozen times (or more) through-out the tree.
>
> 	Anyway, that file is pkgsrc-wip/jabberd/transports.mk.
> I haven't submitted a patch for it, partially becausem I'm
> unsure if it belongs in jabberd (which is really jabberd 1.4.x
> -- which also needs updating), or in some new options thing,
> perhaps in the pkgsrc/mk tree..
>
> 	Everything else in the jabber realm are additional
> transports, allowing a jabber server to interoperate with Yahoo
> IM, AOL IM, MSN, IRC, and ICQ.  All of the transports are
> written in python..
>
> 	Oh, the above isn't entirely true.. I'm also working on
> bringing ejabberd in as a package.  It's a fully XMPP 1.0
> compliant server, written in Erlang.
>
> 	FYI: jabber is cool.. A federation of interoperating,
> interconnected servers (much like email and smtp) as opposed to
> single servers operated by some other entity..  Open transports
> as well as open source.  Feel free to catch me on jabber as
> eric@jabber.cirr.com.  If you want an account to play with, let
> me know.. (or, on your dedicated IP connection, "cd
> /usr/pkgsrc/chat/jabberd2 && make update && cd ../psi && make
> update"; configure, and go!)

I haven't found a need to play with jabber, much less time.
It seems the pkgsrc/chat/jabber2 package is unmaintained so far, but that
pkgsrc/chat/jabberd2 has a maintainer... can you supply patches to him for
any changes you think are needed?

  - Hubert