Subject: Re: randomized list of MASTER_SITEs (patch)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/18/2006 10:13:59
"Mike M. Volokhov" <mishka@netbsd.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> As you may note, static list of package master sites accomplished with
> some known problems. Huge load on top of the list sites from pkgsrc
> users, and died sites (also at the top of list) are most annoying.
>
> At this moment you can shuffle master sites with MASTER_SORT and
> MASTER_SORT_REGEX. But you may add some extra randomization with
> just implemented MASTER_SORT_RANDOM=yes|no feature. It will randomize
> sites just before any other ordering, so if you altready using some
> sorting, your sites will be reshuffled in each group of your selection.
> To randomize a whole list use MASTER_SORT_RANDOM=yes only.

Ok, if noone objects I'll commit the patch and the following description
for mk/defaults/mk.conf tomorrow:

#MASTER_SORT_RANDOM= no
# If set to YES or yes, a list of master sites will be randomly intermixed.
# Also, both MASTER_SORT and MASTER_SORT_REGEX may be applied later.
# Possible: yes, no / not defined
# Default: not defined

Also, I'd likely move _MASTER_SITE_BACKUP from unsorted list to sorted one,
so they all will be used more as backup sites.

--
Mishka.

BTW, how about set MASTER_SORT_RANDOM to YES by default?