Subject: Re: xfce3 isn't building completely
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/26/2006 16:05:30
On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 10:57:10AM -0700, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 02:26:51PM -0300, Paulo Aukar wrote:
> >>(NetBSD 4.99.1 i386;  pkgsrc-current)
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >Sorry to be harsh, but could you please stop bothering a public
> >*technical* mailing list with build errors?
> >
> >Frankly, we are aware of a lot of problems with GCC 4.1, see e.g.
> >ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/misc/kristerw/pkgstat/i386-4.0/20060821.1950/report.html
> >
> >Posting complains won't help it. Filling PRs without patches is not that
> >likely to help either.
>
> Being a jerk to users isn't going to help NetBSD gain any traction,
> either.

No, but reading the purpose of a mailing list is something I *do*
expect. tech-pkg about technical discussions of the pkgsrc systems and
changes of a wider audience. Bug reports might go to pkgsrc-users, but
definitely not to tech-pkg.

> Searching most bug databases is a skill that only the most involved
> developers can master, so either make it easier to search or expect lots
> of questions and PRs.

I said "filling PRs without patches is not that likely to help either",
simply because it just duplicates the information from the bulk builds
we already have. With that in mind, it will most likely just bitroot. It
doesn't hurt per se, other than just wasting the time of some people
who could instead fix stuff.

Searching a bug database is not only a task for developers. In fact, it
often helps more to solve real problems when someone else can provide
input. It doesn't apply here though. Note that I didn't even suggest
that.

Joerg