Subject: Re: pkgsrc bootstrap kit for Solaris 10?
To: Raymond Meyer <raymond.meyer@rambler.ru>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/17/2006 21:29:59
Apologies, Raymond, I forgot to Cc: the list.

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 06:24:36AM +0100, Raymond Meyer wrote:
|On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:19:29 +1000
|Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net> wrote:
|> I've unpacked the 2006Q2 pkgsrc snapshot and am trying to get it
|> working on this machine. For some reason I can't yet fathom, running
|
|What exactly are you trying to do? What compiler are you using, GCC or
|SunPro?

I have both available ... in this instance I think it was going to use
gcc, as the workstation I picked didn't have the Sun compiler installed,
but that can be changed ...

|I am in the process of updating and expanding my guide on how to deploy
|pkgsrc on Solaris. At the moment it's not quite ready yet. I'm hoping
|to finish most of it by the end of this week and then I need to find
|web space where to host it with the rest of my web pages. Once I've
|done that I'll let you know where you can read it. If you can wait
|until then, you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort, because
|setting up pkgsrc on Solaris is quite a fiddly process.

Thanks, that would be great ... :)

I don't mind arsing about with it, but I was surprised that I came up so
short quite this soon ... it is working to the point where the updated
pkg_install tools are being built and compiled OK (using gcc), but as
you can see above it's having problems once it's used sudo to become
root to do the actual install ...

I will try again tomorrow to do the same thing as root and see what
happens. I'd prefer not to use root to compile things too often, but it
would be interesting to see if that solves the shell error I posted last
time ...

Thanks again,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank