Subject: rc.d: client-server dependencies
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/2006 20:55:19
Hi,

I'm playing around with sysutils/ups-nut, a collection of networked UPS
tools.  There's a client upsmon which connects to a server upsd, either
locally or over the network.  The rc.d script for upsmon has:

# PROVIDE: upsmon
# REQUIRE: upsd

As a consequence, when running "/etc/rc.d/upsmon start" on a client-only
machine (where upsd runs on a different machine), it says:

WARNING: $upsmon is not set properly - see rc.conf(5).

I could simply remove the REQUIRE upsd line, but it's still preferable that
upsd gets rcorder(8)'ed before upsmon on systems where both run on the same
machine.  How could I handle this?

	Geert