Subject: Re: Adding perl as a runtime dependency to packages (was: CVS commit:
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/2006 18:14:33
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> The commit didn't say why perl was really added, so I can only guess
> that it maybe because of FvwmConsoleC.pl.
> If that is the case then we should add a package option to enable perl,
> defaulting to off. This is an enhancement for a window manager which is
> not really needed by default. fvwm is a small wm and it should be keept
> that way.

FvwmConsole is a part of a working fwvm installation, it should be
installed per default.

I'm really tired of this silliness of crippling packages in random
ways in order to get rid of dependencies.  There have been enough
cases where I needed a special functionality, google for software
that can provide this service, and install the package... ...only
to find out that this functionality has been disabled in the package
(or in other packages that are needed for the software to work).

This has happened often enough that I no longer see pkgsrc as
a viable option for managing software at work, and have been
forced to switch to Linux on some of my systems.

So please keep the full functionality be the default when limiting
functionality in packages...

    /Krister