Subject: Re: Solaris libbz2.so and 64bit
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
From: Gilles Dauphin <Gilles.Dauphin@enst.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/2006 11:18:47
> From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
> To: tech-pkg@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Solaris libbz2.so and 64bit
>
> Hi,
>    For those people using pkgsrc on Solaris I was just wondering what you
> currently do (if anything) about libbz2.so?
>
> Solaris (at least from Solaris 9) has a /usr/include/bzlib.h so
> bzip2/builtin.mk thinks its built in and if you're building 32bit thats fine
> as there is also a perfectly fine /usr/lib/libbz2.so.
>
> However if you are building 64bit as far as I can see the following situation
> holds:
> 	Solaris 9 sparc - you need the SUNWbzipx package (not normally
installed?)
> 	Solaris 10 sparc - Its in SUNWbzip so all is fine
> 	Solaris 10 i386 - doesn't exist at all.
>
> Am I correct?  What do you do about it?

Yes you are.
I work with Solaris 10 i386, and i build it :

[root@redhot 769] file /usr/pkg/lib/libbz2.so*
/usr/pkg/lib/libbz2.so: ELF 64-bit LSB dynamic lib AMD64 Version 1, dynamically
linked, not stripped, no debugging information available
/usr/pkg/lib/libbz2.so.0:       ELF 64-bit LSB dynamic lib AMD64 Version 1,
dynamically linked, not stripped, no debugging information available
/usr/pkg/lib/libbz2.so.0.0.0:   ELF 64-bit LSB dynamic lib AMD64 Version 1,
dynamically linked, not stripped, no debugging information available
[root@redhot 770]

> Why is there a small set of libraries that Solaris has 32bit but not 64bit
> versions of?  libbz2, libXau and libXdmcp are the ones I've found so far.

That's really a true problem, Solaris is not 'symetric' for different ABI.
The best way is Sun provide thoses libraries as their marketing would pretend.
About libXau and libXdmcp (ABI=64), I build them with pkgsrc (xorg-libs), but my
work is not clean (as usual...).
If you want it, i will send it.

Cheers,
Gilles