Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/04/2006 15:08:04
Roland Illig wrote:
> Johnny Lam wrote:
>
>> and they should be dependent on the package system flavor.
>
> but I don't agree with this. I think locking LOCALBASE should not depend
> on the package system flavor, but should be done the same for every
> flavor. The reason is simply that it doesn't matter which tools you are
> using, when other processes modify files in LOCALBASE. The print-PLIST
> will get confused in each case, except if we make it depend on the
> package tools flavor.

Okay, it wasn't clear from the commit message that this was your true
intention.  The commit message said you wanted to protect the package
metadata directory from being manipulated by more than one make process.

I believe that locking ${LOCALBASE} is not necessary unless you are
running certain targets, e.g. check-files or print-PLIST.  I think
locking the package metadata directory is more important as that is the
part that can really get corrupted with simultaneous updates.  Even
though the package tools themselves don't do any locking, we can ensure
that the pkgsrc tree itself doesn't have multiple processes updating the
metadata directory at the same time.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>