Subject: time to change PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT to 24?
To: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/24/2006 15:27:03
--=-=-=

Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com> writes:

>> > I wanted to package cvs20hg in wip, but ran into the problem that
>> > rcsparse (a dependency of cvs20hg) requires Python 2.4. cvs20hg requir=
es
>> > both rcsparse and the mercurial libraries; so if devel/mercurial has b=
een
>> > installed with Python 2.3, there is breakage.
>>
>> How about taking the easy way out of making mercurial only accept python=
24?

> That certainly solves my particular problem.
>
> I guess the only real situation where that might not be appropriate is if=
=20
> there are mercurial extensions that don't work with 2.4 for some reason.

It's starting to seem awkward for python's default to be at 2.3, when
there are increasinly many packages that need 2.4.  I tried to build
some things that depended on a 2.4-only package and gave up, adding

PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT=3D		24

to /etc/mk.conf, which resulted in successful builds.

Is it time to change the default to 24?

=2D-=20
    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=