Subject: Re: mk/plist/shlib-type
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/04/2006 07:29:01
On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 11:57:38AM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> By the way, could anyone who is familiar with the history of the a.out
> format please add some information about it to Wikipedia? ;) I'm
> especially interested in some information about _when_ it has been
> deprecated and replaced mostly by ELF.

it depends on the platform.  i386 was officially switched from a.out to
ELF when 1.5 was released in December 2000, but I recall having at least
one transitional 1.4.x i386 with a.out and ELF around that time as well.

arm and m68k were transitioned in 1.6.  I'm not sure about the others.
(I know vax was done, but ns32k?)

              "silly brewer, saaz are for pils!"  --  virt