Subject: Re: pkg/33874 (can't download meta-pkgs/{xorg,XFree86} distfiles without setting X11_TYPE)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/01/2006 15:02:04
On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 01:12:22PM +0200, Christoph Badura wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 01:04:36AM +0000, joerg@netbsd.org wrote:
> > Synopsis: can't download meta-pkgs/{xorg,XFree86} distfiles without setting X11_TYPE
> >
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > State-Changed-By: joerg@netbsd.org
> > State-Changed-When: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:04:34 +0000
> > State-Changed-Why:
> > Since xorg and xfree86 set PKG_SKIP_REASON, this is
> > not a problem of xorg or xfree86. The behaviour is correct
> > to avoid waste of disk space.
>
> Eh?
>
> limiting-factor!bad 146 % cd pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/XFree86
> limiting-factor!bad 147 % make fetch
> WARNING: X11_TYPE=XFree86 is mandatory.
>
> Obviously, it is a problem of xfree86. Same happens for xorg.

And if you had read the message, you could have tried any other package
in the tree which sets PKG_SKIP_REASON. Like www/firefox-bin. Oh, has
the same problem! So, yes. This is not a problem of Xorg or Xfree86.

> > Patching is in-general
> > wouldn't work either since dependencies have to be installed
> > before the patch phase.
>
> Nonsense. The only possible dependncy that would be required is a
> support patch(1), which has nothing to do with the X11_TYPE to be
> installed.

And patch will never be a dependency. Just as no other tool used during
pre-patch or post-patch will ever be a dependency. Nor will we ever want
to use the output of the tool framework to patch patch names into files.
Sure, my argument is complete non-sense.

Joerg