Subject: Re: Inconsistent dependency handling
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/23/2006 15:17:23
On 5/23/06, joerg@britannica.bec.de <joerg@britannica.bec.de> wrote:
> currently pkgsrc source builds and pkg_add usage can differ in the
> version of packages to use.

> IMO it is an error when the latest version of a package doesn't come
> from package directory specified in the dependency line, so all PHP 4.4
> dependencies should be changed to explicitly specify < 5 like we do in
> pkgsrc-security for vulnerabilities.

Yes, that's exactly what they should be doing.  Alternatively, since
the PHP ABI tends to change per minor release, they could depend on
the >=3D4.4.whatever and -4.4.* (non-dewey pattern) to ensure that the
version used is 4.4.something but newer than some baseline.

--=20
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>