Subject: Re: Refactoring "install" and "package" phases
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/21/2006 22:33:35
On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 10:49:12PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
> In article <20060521144236.GA3535@NetBSD.org> Johnny wrote:
> :   I would like to leverage our strength in
> : making software build on lots of different platforms, and then allow
> : installing and packaging software in the platform's "native" package
> : format.  For example, this would be "SVR4 package format" on Solaris,
> : or RPM on Red Hat and SuSE, and of course, "pkgsrc format" will always
> : be supported by default for all platforms.
>
>   My main concern with this is that the new packages will be in the
> native format, but won't mix well with packages provided by the native
> OS, which might be confusing to the unawares.

I had considered this problem already, and thought I would address
this the same way that we used to do with Solaris packages -- append
a prefix to the package name so that they don't satisfy any dependencies
for packages provided by the native OS, e.g. pkg-glib-2.0, pkg-gtk+-2.0,
etc.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>