Subject: Re: Refactoring "install" and "package" phases
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/21/2006 23:01:20
> :   I would like to leverage our strength in
> : making software build on lots of different platforms, and then allow
> : installing and packaging software in the platform's "native" package
> : format.  For example, this would be "SVR4 package format" on Solaris,
> : or RPM on Red Hat and SuSE, and of course, "pkgsrc format" will always
> : be supported by default for all platforms.
>
>   My main concern with this is that the new packages will be in the
> native format, but won't mix well with packages provided by the native
> OS, which might be confusing to the unawares.

Hmmm... can you give an example?  Of course pkgsrc packages should
not blindly overwrite native OS data, but that is equally true today.
If you so choose, you can still specify a separate toplevel pkgsrc
directory.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de