Subject: Re: x11/openmotify license terms
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/14/2006 13:37:45
On 5/14/06, Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>   The rights granted under this license are limited solely to
>   distribution and sublicensing of the Contribution(s) on, with, or for
>   operating systems which are themselves Open Source programs. Contact
>   The Open Group for a license allowing distribution and sublicensing of
>   the Original Program on, with, or for operating systems which are not
>   Open Source programs.
>
> So it is reasonable to assume that some parties may have licenses to
> use openmotify on Interix, or other non-open-source systems.

No, as such a license doesn't exist.  See:

http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/

which specifically states OpenMotif as being available only for Open
Source OS's, period.  Motif, the commercial product, is the one they
license for commercial closed-source OS's.

That said, as I pointed out privately, setting LICENSE now kills the
openmotif binary pkg for default bulk builds.  That may cause some ...
complaints.

Really, this should be handled in some way that prevents building on
non-OSS operating systems by default (even non-bulk builds!), unless
something is set, but not prevent bulk builds at all on the open
source OS's.

--=20
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>