Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2006 11:18:00
Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>>I cannot see any hint here. What about printing the warning (which is
>>currently in config.log) also to the terminal, so the user can see it
>>more directly?
>

> I don't know how to do this portably, but please feel free to modify
> the implementation.  Right now, there is enough information in the
> files that pkgsrc directs you to look at to figure out what's wrong
> and how to fix it.

For me, "echo foo 1>/dev/tty" has worked on all systems I know. Are
there any counterexamples?

>>By the way, I would prefer to only create the fail-wrappers when
>>PKG_DEVELOPER is set. For a typical user (even more for unexperienced
>>users) this is just annoying.
>

> I do not see how this is "annoying".  If the package doesn't invoke
> the C++ compiler, then nothing happens.  If it does, and it doesn't
> properly set USE_LANGUAGES, then it fails just like it would if
> PKG_CXX=${FALSE}.  Where is the "annoying" part?

Before PKG_CXX had been set to ${FALSE}, the package built, although not
using the c++ wrapper. I think it would be best to continue this
behavior for non-PKG_DEVELOPER users, so they get working packages (in
most cases). I think that for PKG_DEVELOPER users, the current behavior
is the right thing.

Roland