Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2006 02:25:07
In article <4463D44D.3040308@NetBSD.org> Roland wrote:
: > Make build failures due to the previous commit less mysterious by using
: > a wrapper script that emits a hint of what went wrong.

: Nice try, but it doesn't give any hint to me. After commenting out the
: USE_LANGUAGES line in wm/icewm/Makefile.common I get:

: ===> Configuring for icewm-1.2.25
: => Fixing locale directory references.
: WARNING: [subst.mk] Ignoring non-text file "./src/Makefile.in".
: configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
:      If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
: configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
: See `config.log' for more details.
: *** Error code 77

: I cannot see any hint here. What about printing the warning (which is
: currently in config.log) also to the terminal, so the user can see it
: more directly?

  This is going to be difficult with configure: it redirects the
output of the compiler to config.log.  I imagine that the hint is
displayed when the wrapper is called from make.  (However, I think the
error message of configure above is quite descriptive.)

: By the way, I would prefer to only create the fail-wrappers when
: PKG_DEVELOPER is set. For a typical user (even more for unexperienced
: users) this is just annoying.

  Seconded.

					yours,
					dillo